Translate this blog.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ain't That America?



Today was a day that made me proud to be an American! We hear so many stories about how awful our country is and how we as people of trans experience are hated and driven to despair. That isn't always the case and we need to focus on positive things. We can overcome adversity and we can have happy, fulfilling lives!

Today, I had a very positive experience interviewing with the Veteran's Administration for a job that has a lot of opportunity for advancement. The five people who interviewed me were all very positive and seemed interested in my experience and skills as a Social Worker. They informed me that I was a finalist for the position and they indicated that they would be in touch no later than the first of next week about the position.

Then I went to vote. It was the first time I ever voted as Lauren, here where I have lived a male life out in rural Virginia since 1992. I grew up here before leaving for college and grad school.

It was a very comfortable experience. There were no challenges to my right to vote and the election officials were very polite and professional.

The world is a much better place for us, even as recently as twenty years ago. I live in one of the most conservative (both politically and religiously) areas in the U.S. here in the Shenandoah Valley.

If I can do it, so can you! Yes, there have been obstacles along the way. My biggest obstacle was my own fear.

I hope that you will follow your dreams and become the best you that you can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment