Translate this blog.

Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Wisdom of Fritz Perls




I do my thing and you do your thing.
 I am not in the world to live up to your expectations.
You are not in the world to live up to my expectations.
You are you and I am I
And If by chance we happen to find each other, it's beautiful.
And if not, it can't be helped.
- Fritz Perls

The most well known icon of gestalt psychotherapy, not to be confused with gestalt psychology wrote this years ago and I find it as powerful when I was 17 as I do today at 53. What a powerful and freeing idea.
 If you find synergy with someone, then that is a very positive and a true opportunity for personal growth. If not, that's ok too. Be free to be who you are as I will do the same. Doesn't matter if you agree with someone or not, go your own path and allow others to do the same. It would cut down so many barriers as opposed to authortarian collectivists who demand that we all march to a single drummer and if you are out of step, it is not acceptable.
 Diversity includes accepting ideas that we find diametrically opposed to our own belief system. That requires a large leap for a significant minority of us. I endeavor to be able to do that. I haven't done it perfectly, but it is my goal. I hope you will join me and doing what you can to make it yours too.

No comments:

Post a Comment